[…] High-quality professional images can help establish your authority in your field. They signal to your audience, clients, or employers that you take your role seriously and are committed to delivering excellence. This can make you more credible and respected in your industry. […]
What Should I Wear for a Professional Headshot?
Choosing the right outfit for your professional headshot can be challenging, and many clients struggle to pick out what to wear. You want to look your best, but you also want to ensure that your attire sends the right message about you and your brand. Here are some tips to help you decide what to wear for a professional headshot.
1. Reflect Your Professional Role
Your outfit should match your professional role and the industry you’re in. If you’re in a corporate setting, a suit or a professional dress could be appropriate. For more creative or relaxed fields, you might opt for something a bit more casual. It’s important to consider how you want to be perceived by your target audience.
2. Choose Solid Colors
Solid colors usually work best for headshots as they don’t distract from your face. Try to avoid busy patterns, logos, or graphics that can detract from the professional feel of the photo. If you wear a suit, try to wear a tie with minimal distractions. Also, talk with your photographer about personal brand photography and to decide on the backdrop color beforehand. This can help eliminate some clothing options because you do not want to wear the same color. This will cause you to blend into the background when the whole goal is to make you pop!
3. Consider Your Brand Colors
If you have a personal or company brand with specific colors, consider incorporating them into your outfit. This can help with brand consistency and recognition. Alternatively, we also offer a branding session that is designed to connect you and your brand through various types of images.
4. Flattering Colors
Choose colors that complement your skin tone. Generally, cooler tones like blues and grays are universally flattering. It’s best to avoid neon colors or overly bright shades, as these can create color casts on your skin. Opt for colors that enhance your natural features and make your skin tone appear vibrant.
5. Keep Jewelry Minimal
Simple and classic is the rule of thumb here. You want the focus to be on your face, not your accessories. Avoid large or distracting jewelry that may divert attention away from your professional image.
6. Dress Comfortably
If you’re uncomfortable, it will show in the pictures. Make sure your outfit is comfortable and fits well. You want to feel confident and at ease during your headshot session to capture your best expressions.
7. Iron Your Clothes
Wrinkles can show up in photos and may distract from your face, so make sure to iron your clothes before the photoshoot. Presenting yourself with well-pressed attire adds to the overall polished and professional look.
8. Bring Options
It’s always a good idea to bring a few outfit options to your session. This gives you some flexibility and allows you to change your look if desired. Discuss with your photographer what options may work best based on the intended purpose and style of your headshots.
Remember, the goal of a professional headshot is to present the best version of yourself. It should represent who you are and what you stand for professionally. At Duane Furlong Studios, we offer pre-session consultations to help guide our clients on what to wear to ensure they feel confident, and their headshot effectively represents their professional image.
- How do I choose the best outfit for my professional headshot? A: When selecting your outfit, consider your professional role and the industry you’re in. Opt for solid colors that complement your skin tone and reflect your personal brand. It’s best to avoid busy patterns, logos, or graphics that can distract from your face and the professional feel of the photo.
- Should I wear accessories or jewelry for my headshot? A: It’s recommended to keep jewelry minimal and opt for simple and classic pieces. The focus should be on your face, not your accessories. Avoid large or distracting jewelry that may divert attention away from your professional image.
- What colors should I avoid wearing for a professional headshot? A: It’s best to avoid neon colors or overly bright shades, as they can create color casts on your skin. Opt for colors that complement your skin tone, such as cooler tones like blues and grays. Solid, neutral colors generally work well for headshots.
- Can I wear my company uniform for the headshot? A: If your company uniform is a significant part of your professional identity and accurately represents your brand, it can be appropriate to wear it for your headshot. However, it’s essential to consider whether the uniform reflects your personal style and aligns with the overall look you want to achieve.
Do you need staff headshots for your company?
I offer professional headshots, environmental business portraits, corporate photography, and event photography throughout Arizona.
You May Also Be Interested In